Chick Pea Curry Recipe/Punjabi Chhole Masala
Ingredients (Serving for two):
- Chana / Chick Pea – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Bay leaf – 1 leave
- Cinamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 2 cloves
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masla (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chilly – 1
- Onion – 1 medium size for paste and 1/4 onion for sauteing
- Tomato – 2 small size
- Ginger Garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chhole Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Dry fenugreek leaves i.e Kasuri methi (optional) for garnsihing
- Coriander leaves for garnishing – 1 tablespoon
Preparing Chick Peas:
- Soak the chick peas in 2 cup of water and leave it overnight.
- Pressure cook the soaked chana/ chick peas along with water and salt(as per taste) to 2 whistle on high flame and 2 whistle or 10 min on low flame.
- Allow it cool.
Preparing paste for Gravy/curry:
- Grind finely chopped onions, tomato, green chili, cumin seeds, garlic and ginger into a fine paste. Keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a pan. Once hot, add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom till the fragrance is absorbed in the oil.
- Now add the fine paste and mix it well.
- Add dry spices turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala (optional) and mix it well. Cook this paste well for 12-15 min or till it leaves oil on the sides and the raw smell goes away.
- Drain the water from chick peas. Do not throw away the water as we can utilize it in gravy preparation.
- Add the boiled chick peas into the gravy. Mix it well so that the chick peas gets coated with gravy and cook it for 2 min more. Now add the remaining water into it and bring it to a boil on medium-low flame.
- Add chole masala and water into the gravy.
- Sprinkle some fenugreek leaves(kasturi methi) after crushing it little within your palms and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Punjabi chole is ready to serve with roti, paratha or rice.
Please do like , share and comment if you liked this recipe.