Baigan Aloo Bharta/Mashed Eggplant-Potato Recipe
Who says that egg plant is a boring vegetable? After eating baigan aloo bharta , we get addicted to the taste of eggplant:) . Baigan Aloo bharta is very tasty and quick recipe. It is a famous dish of north India.
To get the real taste of baigan bharta, we need to choose the right baigan for bharta. Usually the round , medium sized baigan is best suited for baigan bharta.
Taste would be great when the baigan is roasted in open gas. Micro-oven cooked baigan could be easy to cook but taste would not be best.
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1 eggplant (Baigan)
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 1 green chilly – finely chopped
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 handfull of chopped cilatro or corriander leaves
- Roast the eggplant over medium flame, turning as necessary until the skin is blackened and the eggplant collapses. Alternatively, you can broil the eggplant on a heated cast-iron pan in the hottest possible oven. It will take about 20 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel and trim away the hard stem. Chop or mash in a bowl.
- Boil the potatoes till it softens. As it cools down, peel the skin off and mash it. Mix it with the mashed eggplant.
- Add salt to taste into the mixture and mix it well.
- Now heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- When properly heated, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped green chilies and garlic and fry it till the raw smell of garlic fades.
- Now add chopped onions , stir and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala and fry it.
- Add eggplant and potato mixture. Stir it well and cook for 5 min steering frequently.
- Garnish it with corriander leaves.
Serve with Indian bread/ Roti/Chappati or as a side with Rice and sambar.