Baingan Aloo Bharta Recipe
Who says that egg plant is a boring vegetable? After eating baingan aloo bharta , we get addicted to the taste of eggplant:) . Baingan Aloo bharta is very tasty and quick recipe. It is a famous dish of north India but loved across the country.
To get the real taste of baingan aloo bharta, we need to choose the right baigan for bharta. Usually the round , medium sized baigan is best suited for baigan bharta.
Taste would be great when the baigan is roasted in open gas. Micro-oven cooked baigan could be easy to cook but taste would not be best.
Ingredients for Baingan Aloo Bharta
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1 eggplant (Baigan)
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 1 green chilly – finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 handfull of chopped cilatro or corriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Method for Baingan Aloo Bharta:
- Roast the eggplant over medium flame, turning as necessary until the skin is blackened and the eggplant collapses. Alternatively, you can broil the eggplant on a heated cast-iron pan in the hottest possible oven. It will take about 20 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel and trim away the hard stem. Chop or mash in a bowl.
- Boil the potatoes till it softens. As it cools down, peel the skin off and mash it. Mix it with the mashed eggplant.
- Add salt to taste into the mixture and mix it well.
- Now heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- When properly heated, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped green chilies and garlic and fry it till the raw smell of garlic fades.
- Now add chopped onions , stir and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala and fry it.
- Add eggplant and potato mixture. Stir it well and cook for 5 min steering frequently.
- Garnish it with corriander leaves.
Serve with Indian bread/ Roti/Chappati or as a side with Rice and sambar.
You may also like : Kidney bean recipes | Rajma Recipe