Boiled Potato Fry Recipe
According to U.S Department of Agriculture, potatoes are the fourth most consumed crop in the world behind rice, wheat and corn. It is a very versatile vegetable which can be used in variety of dishes. There are hundreds of innovative and healthy ways to make potato dishes. This Aloo fry or Potato fry is one of those simple, quick and easy recipe to go for lunch and dinner option.
If you are looking for other dishes you can also try aloo matar, aloo paratha, aloo gobi, aloo tikki, potato sandwich, potato capsicum.
- 4 medium size potato
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- one medium size onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- salt as per taste
- one pinch asafoetida (optional)
- some coriander leaves for garnishing
Preparation of potatoes:
Boil 3 medium size potato in a pressure cooker to 1 whistle on medium flame. Peel the potatoes and cut it into pieces as shown below.
Potato fry :
- Heat a thick bottomed pan (or you can use non-stick pan) and add 2 tablespoon oil.
- After the oil is heated, add cumin seeds and fry it for a minute.
- Now add green chili and chopped onions and saute it for a while till the onions turns golden brown.
- Mix garlic paste and saute it for sometime till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add chopped boiled potatoes and mix it well.
- Add all the spices – turmeric, Kashmiri red chilli powder (optional), coriander powder, cumin powder, one pinch asafoetida (optional) and salt as per taste and mix it very well with the potatoes.
- Now cook it till the potatoes turn little crispy and absorbs the spices flavour.
- Last but not the least, add Garam masala. Mix it well and switch off the flame. It enhances the taste and smell of the dish.
Your Boiled Potato fry is ready to go with Roti/chapati (Indian bread) or Puri or as a side with dal-rice or sambar-rice.
- You can adjust the spices as per your taste.
- You can add lemon juice or amchur powder (i.e dry mango powder) into it. I usually don’t prefer so didn’t add in the steps.
- You can add little salt while boiling potatoes so that it absorbs the salt well.
- While potato is boiling, you can prepare the ingredients required for the recipe.
- You can also try potato fry without boiling the potatoes. Directly chop the potatoes into cubes and cook it in the pan with the spices till it turns soft inside and crispy outside.