Punjabi Chhole Masala | Chana Masala Recipe or Chhole Masala:
When I think about Chhole Masala, I start craving for this spicy and yummy dish. I think this is an evergreen dish that can fit in all time menu breakfast ,lunch and dinner. Chana Masala is combined with various main course items like Chhole bhature (OMG don’t remind me so tempting yummy), Chhole chawal (Chick pea curry with rice) or Chhole roti (a healthy choice:)). Hence we also call it party dish. Cholle Masala always finds its place any kind of party specially in North India. But it doesn’t mean that it is not famous in other parts of the country:)
Can’t wait to start with preparation method? Let’s check it quickly :
Also See: Kidney bean recipes | Rajma Recipe
Ingredients for Chana Masala (Serving for two):
- Chana / Chick Pea – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Bay leaf – 1 leave
- Cinamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Cloves (lavang) – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masla (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chilly – 1
- Onion – 1 medium size for paste and 1/4 onion for sauteing
- Tomato – 2 small size
- Ginger Garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chhole Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Dry fenugreek leaves i.e Kasuri methi (optional) for garnsihing
- Coriander leaves for garnishing – 1 tablespoon
Instructions for Chhole Masala:
Preparing Chick Peas:
- Soak the chick peas in 2 cup of water and leave it overnight.
- Pressure cook the soaked chana/ chick peas along with water and salt(as per taste) to 2 whistle on high flame and 2 whistle or 10 min on low flame. It is a good idea to add baking powder so that the check peas get soften easily.
- Once the chick peas are soften, keep it aside and allow it cool.
Preparing paste for Gravy/curry:
- Grind finely chopped onions, tomato, green chili, cumin seeds, garlic and ginger into a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Once hot, add bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon till the fragrance is absorbed in the oil.
- Now add the fine paste and mix it well.
- Add dry spices turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, Cardamom powder (optional) and garam masala (optional). Mix it well and cook this paste well for 12-15 min or till it leaves oil on the sides and the raw smell goes away.
- Drain the water from chick peas. Do not throw away the water as it will be utilized later into the gravy.
- Add the boiled chick peas into the gravy. Mix it well so that the chick peas gets coated with gravy and cook it for 2 min more. Now add the remaining water into it and bring it to a boil on medium-low flame.
- Now you can add chole masala and water into the gravy. You can adjust water content based on your preference. Chole Masala is added in the last because we can get the flavor of hot spices.
- If you want, you can add amchur powder(Mango powder) to get darkish color. Alternatively, we can also use tea bag during boiling of chick peas to get more brownish colors.
- Sprinkle some fenugreek leaves(kasturi methi) after crushing it little within your palms and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Punjabi chole is ready to serve with roti, paratha or rice.
Please do like , share and comment if you liked this recipe.
Don’t Miss:Sabudana Kheer Recipe