Kadai Paneer or Karahi Paneer is a famous dish of India and is one of the most common dishes preferred in restaurant. It is spicy and delicious and is best paired with roti, paratha. Kadai Paneer is a spicy curry recipe with a lot of spices to give it a robust bold flavor.
Paneer is my favorite dish and I try various recipes of Paneer but Kadai paneer is very special one:).
Ingredients for Kadai masala
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 or 5 black pepper seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 1/2 or 1 inch of Cinnamon stick
Ingredients for Gravy / Curry
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 large Onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon Garam Masala/ Kadai Paneer masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori Methi ( Dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt as per taste
Other Ingredients for making Kadai Paneer
- 1/2 Capsicum cubed
- 1 large or Medium sized Onions cubed
- 250 gram Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese cubed or triangled
- Handful coriander leaves finely chopped
Direction for Kadai Paneer Recipe
Preparation of Kadai masala:
- Dry roast bay leaf, black Cardamom, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon in a pan until nice aroma starts or for around 1 min over low heat.
- Separate the Bay leaf, allow the remaining spices to cool for a while and grind them into a coarse or fine powder. Keep it aside.
Preparation of Gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add Onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add tomato and saute until it softens.
- Cool it and blend into a fine paste and keep aside.
Direction for making Kadai Paneer Recipe:
- Add oil in the same pan or another and heat it up.
- Saute ginger garlic paste till raw smell goes off.
- Add onion tomato paste and saute it for 2 min
- Mix kadai masala, kashmiri red chilli powder and stir it well.
- Add cubed onions and capsicum and saute it until half cooked.
- Add cream and mix well on low heat. Cook for another 5 min on medium heat.
- Add 3/4 cup of water (or as per consistency required), salt as per taste and Paneer. Cook them well till the gravy thickens and the oil separates out on top.
- Finally add Garam Masala and dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and cook for 1 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Enjoy with roti, Paratha or Jeera Rice.
Also see : Palak Paneer Recipe
Don’t Miss: Sabudana Kheer Recip