Quick recipe of Aloo Paratha
Aloo Paratha is one of the most famous food of north India. In my experience, it is one of the few foods which is preferred by all age groups. Though it is usually preferred during breakfast, people enjoy it in lunch and dinner too. It is very simple and easy to make recipe, lets quickly go through the ingredients and steps to make aloo paratha.
For paratha dough :
- 2 cups of wheat flour/atta
- Water as required for kneading
- One spoon oil (optional)
- Half teaspoon of salt (optional)
For Aloo/potato stuffing :
- 4 medium size boiled potato
- Salt as per taste
- 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies (as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- One medium size finely chopped onion
- 2 to 3 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Oil or ghee for roasting paratha and frying the stuffing
- garam masala & kashmiri red chilly powder (optional)
- Take all atta/wheat flour in a large bowl or a little deep utensil
- Mix salt and oil in the wheat flour
- Use half of water and mix it well
- Further knead the flour and additional water until it becomes soft and smooth
- Leave it for additional 20 mins. We can utilize this time to prepare aloo stuffing
Aloo Stuffing :
- Boil the potato in a pressure cooker with 1 or 2 whistle. Now peel the potato and mash it. Please make sure that the potatoes are mashed well with no lumps.
- Mix the ajwain seeds, salt and chopped coriander in the mashed potatoes
- Now heat the oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is heated, add mustard seed and allow it to splatter
- Now add the chopped onion and chopped ginger & garlic. Mix it well and fry till the onion turns golden brown.
- Now add all the spices cumin powder, coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder and garam masala. Mix it well and fry it for 1 to 2 mins.
- Now mix the mashed ready potato in the pan and mix it well.
Stuffing and rolling :
- Make a small ball out of the dough. Now make a hollow section with the help of your finger into it like a small bowl.
- Now fill it with aloo stuffing prepared above and bring the edges nearer closing it into a ball again.
- Then flatten it a little between your palms and sprinkle some flour.
- Start rolling giving it a round shape of about 7 inches diameter or into a size of roti/chapati dusting in between as and when required.
Making Aloo Paratha:
- Heat a flat pan or tawa and put the stuffed paratha over it.
- Toss it to other side after the base is partly cooked.
- Spread oil/ghee over the partly cooked part and flip again on the other side when it is little cooked with small brown spots on it.
- Apply oil over this side too and flip once or twice till it gets well roasted on both the sides. A well stuffed and rolled paratha should puff up while roasting.
Now your yummy Aloo paratha is ready for serving, enjoy it with curd, pickle or your favorite sauce.
Please do share your comments and opinion, thanks for reading.