Spinach is one of the healthiest vegetables with high fiber, various vitamins & minerals. The best way to consume greens is to eat it raw. But some people, especially kids don’t like the natural taste of spinach. If you want to add some flavor before eating spinach , then simply Sauteed Spinach is a quick recipe, easy to cook without losing its nutritional value.
Ingredients (serving for 2):
- 2 large bunch of spinach (1 lb)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Oil for sauteing
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- one medium size finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- One green chili or black pepper powder as per your taste
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the spinach well in water and ensure that it is clean.
- We need to roughly chop the spinach.
- Now boil 1/4 cup of water and add the chopped spinch.
- Stir it well till it becomes little soft. Don’t overcook spinach since it will loss its rich green color and some nutrients too .
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds into it. Allow mustard seeds to crackle so that oil can absorb its flavor.
- Add finely chopped garlic and saute it without turning it brown. Now add onions and saute it well till it becomes golden brown.
- You can add turmeric powder which is optional
- Now we are good to add the blanched spinach. Stir the spinach very well with the help of wooden spoon. Add salt to taste and cook it for a few minutes.
Now your sauteed spinach is ready. You can serve it as sides or take it with Indian bread/Roti.
Spinach loses it volume by three- quarter after cooking so remember not to add salt in the beginning. Add it after the volume is reduced or as per instruction above.